The first National School was established in Carrigaline c.1835.This school was situated on the western side of what we now call Church Hill, about half way up the hill. At the time the hill was known as Chapel Hill because the church (chapel) was on the same site. The church and school belonged to the then parish of Kilmoney, so the first school was called Kilmoney National School. A teacher’s residence was built beside the church and school. Mr. George O’ Mahony was appointed principal in 1879.
In 1887 a site for a new school was donated to the parish by Mr. John McDonnell of Waterpark House. The new boys’ and girls’ schools were opened on this site in 1888. The schools were located where the present boys’ infant school is built on Church Road. Two teachers’ residences, still occupied but converted into one private dwelling, were built behind the schools. Mr. Michael Wrin was principal. He was succeeded by his son John as principal.
These schools were demolished and a new boys’ school was erected on the site around 1965. Mr. Seamus Goggin became principal on the retirement of John Wrin.
In 1980 the present boys’ senior school was built in Ballea. It became known as Scoil Mhuire Lourdes. Mr. Con McCarthy was appointed principal on the retirement of Mr. Goggin.
We know that the school first took part in the Sciath na Scol competition in 1904 when a team from the school played Carrigtwohill in a hurling match.